Save to your scrapbook
Orecchiette with purple sprouting broccoli & sardines
This will be saved to your scrapbook
You can also add it to one of your existing cookbooks
230g purple sprouting broccoli, cut into 1cm pieces
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
400g No.1 Orecchiette
30g fresh breadcrumbs
25g Parmigiano Reggiano, grated
120g can sardines al limone, drained (oil reserved), roughly chopped
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
½ tsp chilli flakes or finely chopped fresh red chilli, to taste
3 tbsp chopped flat leaf parsley
1. Preheat the oven to 220ºC, gas mark 7. On a parchment-lined baking tray, toss together the broccoli, olive oil and a generous pinch of sea salt flakes. Roast for 20-25 minutes, turning the broccoli midway through, until browning on the edges and thoroughly cooked. Set aside.
2. Bring a large saucepan of salted water to boil. Add the pasta, stir once then cook for 10-12 minutes until al dente. Drain, reserving about 250ml of pasta water, then return the pasta to the pan.
3. Heat a large frying pan over a medium heat. Dry fry the breadcrumbs for 3 minutes until golden. Remove to a small bowl and mix with 2 tbsp Parmigiano Reggiano.
4. In the same pan, warm the reserved oil from the sardines over a medium heat. Add the garlic and sardines and stir, breaking up the sardines, for 2 minutes. Add the chilli and broccoli and toss gently to coat.
5. Add the mixture to the pan with the pasta, along with half the reserved pasta water, remaining cheese and the parsley. Toss to coat and simmer for 2 minutes, adding more pasta water as needed, so the pasta is well coated and glossy. Divide between 4 bowls, sprinkle with the breadcrumb mixture and serve immediately.
Typical values per serving:
420mg omega 3