Save to your scrapbook
Pot roast chicken with porcini, roast gnocchi & greens
This will be saved to your scrapbook
You can also add it to one of your existing cookbooks
1 large onion, half cut into wedges, half finely chopped
Few sprigs thyme
1.3kg No.1 Free Range Corn Fed Chicken, untied
1 tbsp Cooks’ Ingredients Porcini Mushroom Paste
6 heaped tbsp British crème fraîche
3 tbsp olive oil, plus 1 tsp
100ml dry white wine, such as Chardonnay
200ml Heston from Waitrose Chicken Stock, hot
500g pack Essential Gnocchi
1 tsp butter
250g pack chestnut mushrooms, thickly sliced
Purple sprouting or Tenderstem broccoli, to serve
1. Preheat the oven to 200°C, gas mark 6. Push the onion wedges and a few sprigs of thyme into the cavity of the chicken. Mix the mushroom paste with 2 tbsp crème fraîche and 1 tsp thyme leaves. Starting from the leg end of the chicken, push your hand under the skin to create a pocket over the breasts, then push in the mushroom mixture. Re-tie the legs.
2. Put 1 tbsp oil into a heavy, deep casserole. Add the chopped onions and sit the chicken on top. Drizzle it with 1 tbsp oil, season, then roast, uncovered, for 45 minutes, until golden.
3. Reduce the oven temperature to 180°C, gas mark 4. Add the wine, stock and remaining crème fraîche to the pan and stir. Cover and return to the oven for another 45 minutes. Toss the gnocchi with 1 tbsp olive oil in a roasting tin. Put it in the oven when the chicken has 20 minutes left to cook, then leave it in the oven as the chicken rests, to finish crisping.
4. When the chicken is cooked through, the juices run clear and no pink meat remains, season the sauce to taste, then rest the chicken for 10 minutes. Meanwhile, heat the butter and remaining 1 tsp oil in a frying pan. Fry the mushrooms over a high heat for about 3 minutes, until golden.
5. Spoon the mushrooms over the chicken, either in the pot or at the table. Scatter over a few thyme leaves and serve with the gnocchi and broccoli.
Typical values per serving:
This recipe was first published in Thu Nov 26 11:41:38 GMT 2020.