Creamy mushroom soup with garlic toasts
This creamy, mushroom soup is earthy, filling and served with toasted, garlic-buttered ciabatta and a drizzle of cream.
- Prepare15 mins
- Cook30 mins
- Total time45 mins
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, roughly chopped
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 2 sprig/s thyme
- 500g mixed mushrooms, such as flat mushrooms, chestnut mushrooms or portabella mushrooms, chopped
- 1.2 L Cooks’ Ingredients vegetable stock, hot
- 2 tbsp dried Cooks’ Ingredients Porcini Mushrooms
- 1 half ciabatta loaf, cut into 8 slices
- 1 large garlic clove, halved
- 1 tbsp finely chopped parsley
- 100ml single cream
Heat 1 tbsp of the oil in a large saucepan and cook the onion, celery and thyme for 5 minutes until softened. Add the fresh mushrooms, cook for 2 minutes, then stir in the stock and dried mushrooms. Cover and simmer gently for 20 minutes.
Meanwhile, preheat a ridged griddle pan and cook the slices of bread for 1-2 minutes each side until bar-marked. Rub the toast with the cut surface of the garlic, drizzle with oil and sprinkle with parsley.
Remove the soup from the heat, discard the thyme stalks, then using a stick blender, whizz until smooth. Divide among serving bowls, drizzle with the cream and serve with the garlic toasts on the side.
Try swapping the parsley for fresh tarragon – its aniseed flavour works really well with the mushrooms and cream.
Typical values per serving when made using specific products in recipe