Filo, aubergine & halloumi tarts
If time is pressing, use the idea for the pastry base in this recipe, then top with ready-made pizza or pasta sauce and marinated antipasti vegetables before baking and sprinkling with cheese.
- CourseMain meal
- Prepare15 mins
- Cook30 mins
- Total time45 mins
- 3 sheets Jus-Rol Filo Pastry
- 2 tbsp Essential Olive Oil, plus 1 tsp to serve
- 3 Essential Aubergines, about 600g, cut into 2cm chunks
- 2 Essential Red Onions, thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp Essential Pure Clear Honey
- 2½ tbsp Belazu Rose Harissa Pesto
- 125g Essential 30% Reduced Fat Cypriot Halloumi
- 2 Essential Salad Onions, thinly sliced
- ¼ x 25g pack flat leaf parsley, leaves roughly chopped
- ½ pomegranate, seeds
- 100g pack Essential Mixed Salad, to serve
Preheat the oven to 200°C, gas mark 6. Take 1 sheet of the pastry and scrunch it up slightly on a baking sheet so it measures about 24x20cm. Put 1 tsp of the oil from the 2 tbsp in a small bowl and dab a little over the pastry. Scrunch another sheet of pastry on top, dab with a little more oil and repeat with the third sheet. Cut the pastry into 4 rectangles, space them out a little and bake for 8-10 minutes, until golden.
Heat a large frying pan, add the aubergines and drizzle with the remaining oil. Fry for 10 minutes, turning frequently. Add the onions and fry for a further 8-10 minutes, until the vegetables are soft and golden. Drizzle in the honey and harissa, mix well and spoon the mixture over the pastry bases.
Crumble the halloumi on top and bake for a further 5 minutes. Scatter with the salad onions, parsley and pomegranate, then serve with the salad, dressed with the remaining 1 tsp oil.
To prepare the pomegranate, hold the fruit under cold water over a bowl. Press the seeds out – they will fall to the bottom and the membrane will float. Pat dry. Enjoy any leftovers on a fruit salad.
Typical values per serving when made using specific products in recipe