Jelatah nenas timun (pineapple & cucumber pickled relish)
This no-cook relish is a great side to Yasmin Othban's beef rendang and nasi minyak. A balance of sweet and sour from sugar, vinegar and salt gently pickles the pineapple, cucumber, tomato, red onion and chillies for a fresh and still crunchy relish
- Prepare20 mins
- Total time20 mins
- 1 small ripe pineapple, peeled, cored and cut into bitesized pieces
- ½ cucumber, halved, deseeded and sliced
- 1 medium tomato, quartered, deseeded and thinly sliced
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 long red chilli, deseeded and thinly sliced at an angle
- 2 tbsp Cooks’ Ingredients Chinese Rice Vinegar
- 2 tsp caster sugar
Place all the fruit and vegetables in a large bowl. This can be done ahead of time and kept covered in the fridge without the pickling solution being added. This is added about 5 minutes before you serve.
In a small mixing bowl, mix the rice vinegar, sugar and 1/4 tsp salt together and stir until the sugar and salt have dissolved. Pour over the pineapple mix and stir well. Best served while the fruit and veg are still cold and crunchy.
Typical values per serving when made using specific products in recipe