Spiced-rubbed chicken with lime slaw
This is a great recipe to feed a crowd. The chicken legs are perfect to eat with your hands – sticky fingers guaranteed!
- Prepare15 mins
- Cook40 mins
- Total time55 mins
- 1 tbsp hot smoked paprika
- 1 tbsp ground coriander
- 1 tbsp dark brown soft sugar
- 1 tsp garlic granules
- 1½ tsp fine salt
- ½ tsp ground black pepper
- 1.6kg pack Essential British Chicken Drumsticks
- 6 tbsp mayonnaise
- 3 unwaxed limes, zest and juice of 2, 1 cut into wedges
- 1 small white cabbage (about 900g), core removed and shredded
- 6 carrots, scrubbed and coarsely grated or julienned
- 1 bunch salad onions, finely sliced
Preheat the oven to 200°C, gas mark 6. In a large bowl, mix together the spices, sugar, garlic, salt, and pepper then add the drumsticks, ensuring they are well coated. Arrange in a single layer in a large roasting tin (or 2) and bake for 40 minutes (swapping the tins halfway), until the chicken is fully cooked with no pink meat and the juices run clear.
Meanwhile, make the slaw. In a very large mixing bowl, whisk together the mayonnaise, lime zest and juice. Add the cabbage, carrots and salad onions; season and toss together until coated. Cover and set aside until ready to serve.
Serve the chicken, spooning over any cooking juices, with the slaw and lime wedges alongside for squeezing over. Some potato wedges go nicely on the side too, if liked.
This is a great recipe for feeding a crowd. You can simply double it to serve more people
And to drink...
Waitrose Blueprint Touraine Sauvignon Blanc, Loire Valley, France (75cl), has beautiful notes of lemon, lime and freshly cut grass.
Typical values per serving when made using specific products in recipe