Tomato & cannellini bean stew with gremolata
Canned ingredients take centre stage in this warming vegan soupy stew. Gremolata – a zesty mix of lemon and parsley – adds a little winter sunshine.
- CourseMain meal
- Prepare10 mins
- Cook30 mins
- Total time40 mins
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 loose Essential Onions, chopped
- 2 large loose Essential Carrots, cut into small cubes
- 2 x 400g cans Essential Chopped Tomatoes
- 100g Essential Pitted Black Olives In Brine, drained and roughly chopped
- 400g can Essential Cannellini Beans In Water
- 1 tsp dried mixed herbs
- 1 Essential Lemon, scrubbed, finely grated zest
- 1 clove/s garlic, finely chopped
- 1/3 x 25g pack flat leaf parsley, finely chopped
- 4 Essential Large Tortilla Wraps
- 100g Saclà Vegan Tomato Pesto
Heat the oil in a large saucepan and add the onions and carrots. Fry gently for 5 minutes, until the onions start to colour. Tip in the tomatoes, olives, beans (including the liquid) and mixed herbs. Season with a little salt and plenty of freshly ground black pepper. Cook gently for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the carrots are tender.
For the gremolata, combine the lemon zest, garlic and parsley in a small bowl. Heat a frying pan, then heat the tortillas according to pack instructions.
Stir the pesto into the stew and cook for 2 minutes. Ladle into bowls and serve, with the gremolata and tortillas alongside.
Lemons easily dry out in the fridge once they’ve been zested. Juice the lemon from this recipe and freeze in an ice cube tray, ready for next time.
Typical values per serving when made using specific products in recipe