Save to your scrapbook
Churros with chocolate dipping sauce
This will be saved to your scrapbook
You can also add it to one of your existing cookbooks
For the churros
125g plain flour
¼ tsp baking powder
Pinch fine sea salt
1 tbsp olive oil
50g caster sugar
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 litre vegetable oil, for frying
For the sauce
120g milk chocolate, chopped
150ml tub double cream
1 Sieve the flour, baking powder and salt together in a large bowl, then make a well in the centre.
2. Mix the oil and 225ml boiling water in a jug then pour into the well. Beat together, gradually incorporating the flour until there are no lumps remaining. Leave the batter to rest for 10-15 minutes. In a separate bowl, mix the sugar and cinnamon together.
3. Fit a piping bag with a closed star nozzle and spoon in the mixture.
4. Pour the oil into a wok or large saucepan and heat on medium to 180C or until a cube of bread turns golden in 45 seconds. Carefully pipe the churros into the oil, snipping them with scissors into 5 - 6cm lengths. Fry in batches for 2-3 minutes, turning occasionally to get an even, golden-brown colour on both sides.
5. Remove the churros from the oil and drain on kitchen paper, then toss in the sugar and cinnamon.
6. To make the sauce, place the chocolate and double cream in a small saucepan. Heat gently, stirring occasionally, until all the chocolate has melted and the sauce is smooth. Serve the warm churros with the warm chocolate sauce.
Typical values per serving:
Per churro with dipping sauce
This recipe was first published in July 2020.