Save to your scrapbook
Spiced and iced Jamaican ginger cake
This will be saved to your scrapbook
You can also add it to one of your existing cookbooks
75g butter, softened
100g dark muscovado sugar
125g black treacle
125g golden syrup
2 large essential Waitrose Free Range Eggs
3 tbsp rum, eg Sailor Jerry Spiced Caribbean
225g self raising flour
2 tsp ground ginger
50g stem ginger, finely chopped
75g pitted medjool dates, chopped
100g icing sugar
1–2 tbsp rum, eg Sailor Jerry Spiced Caribbean
1 tbsp stem ginger syrup from the jar
1. Preheat the oven to 180˚C, gas mark 4. Line the base and sides of a 1 litre loaf tin.
2. Place the butter, sugar, treacle and golden syrup in a saucepan and heat gently until all melted. Remove from the heat and leave to cool for a while, then mix in the eggs and the rum.
3. Mix together the flour and ground ginger then stir into the treacle and egg mixture. Finally, stir in the chopped ginger and dates, then pour into the loaf tin and bake in the middle of the oven for 50 minutes until risen and golden. To test if cooked through, insert a skewer into the centre of the cake and if it comes out clean, it is done. Otherwise, pop back into the oven for 5 more minutes.
4. Remove the cake from the oven and leave to cool for 10 minutes in the tin. Then remove and leave to cool completely on a wire rack.
5. For the topping, mix the icing sugar with the rum and stem ginger syrup. Spoon over the icing and serve in slices with a proper cup of tea!
This cake improves after a day or so and gets stickier and tastier. Keep in an airtight container for up to 4 days. Sailor Jerry rum has a vanilla and spice flavour which works perfectly in this sticky ginger cake.
Typical values per serving: