Save to your scrapbook
Cheesy celery potato gratin
This will be saved to your scrapbook
You can also add it to one of your existing cookbooks
• 50g salted butter, plus 1 tbsp
• 1 tbsp sunflower oil
• 2 bay leaves
• 1 medium onion, roughly chopped
• 6 stalks Waitrose Duchy Organic Celery, cut into 5cm chunks
• 1 large potato, peeled and cut into 1cm pieces
• 1⁄4 tsp salt
• 1⁄4 tsp ground black pepper
• 1⁄4 tsp chipotle chilli flakes
• 50g plain flour
• 600ml whole milk
• 100g Essential Cheddar, grated
• 10g curly leaf parsley, finely chopped
• 100g sourdough bread
• 50g walnuts
1. Heat 1 tbsp butter and the oil in a pan and, once it starts to bubble, add the bay leaves and onion. Cook over a medium heat for 2 minutes until the onion starts to soften. Add the celery and cook for 5 minutes. Add the potato, increase the heat to medium-high, and cook for 5 minutes until the vegetables start to colour. Stir through the salt, pepper and chilli flakes, then transfer to an ovenproof baking dish (about 25cm x 18cm x 5cm).
2. Preheat the oven to 200oC, gas mark 6. In a medium pan, heat 50g butter. Once it starts to bubble, add the flour and cook for a couple of minutes, then reduce the heat to low and gradually add the milk, whisking the whole time. Cook over a low heat for 2 minutes until the mixture thickens. Add the grated cheese and parsley; mix well. Pour over the celery in the dish.
3. Put the sourdough and walnuts in a food processor and pulse until crumbly but not too fine. Sprinkle over the cheese mixture, then bake for 35-40 minutes, until golden and bubbling. Once baked, let it stand for 10 minutes before serving with a leafy salad, if liked.
Typical values per serving:
Average user rating