Celeriac, leek and mushroom pie
This pie has a filling of celeriac, leek and mushrooms mixed in with creamy soft cheese, wholegrain mustards and cheddar cheese. It is topped with flaky puff pastry, brushed with beaten egg to give a golden finish.
- CourseMain meal
- Prepare15 mins
- Cook1 hr
- Total time1 hr 15 mins
- 1 knob unsalted butter
- 1 celeriac (about 800g), peeled and cut into small cubes
- 2 leeks, trimmed and sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 200g chestnut mushrooms, sliced
- 2 tsp fresh thyme leaves
- 2 tbsp plain flour
- 300ml fresh vegetable stock, heated
- 100g soft cheese
- 1 tbsp wholegrain mustard
- 75g mature cheddar, grated
- 320g all butter puff pastry sheet, defrosted if frozen
- 1 egg, beaten
Heat the butter in a large pan and cook the celeriac and leeks for 5 minutes. Add the garlic, mushrooms and thyme and cook for a further 5 minutes, then stir in the flour and cook for 1 minute. Stir in the stock, cover and simmer for 15 minutes or until the celeriac is tender.
Stir the soft cheese, mustard and cheddar into the mixture, then remove from the heat. Season and tip into a large ovenproof dish; set aside to cool.
Preheat the oven to 200°C, gas mark 6. Cover the filling with the pastry sheet, trimming if necessary, and tuck in the edges. Brush with the beaten egg and bake for 30 minutes, until risen and piping hot. Leave to cool a little before serving. SF
Typical values per serving when made using specific products in recipe