Fennel roast chicken with mashed butternut squash
Fragrant, lightly spiced dukkah and anise-like fennel provide the perfect flavour combinationin in this delicious chicken dish.
- CourseMain meal
- Prepare15 mins
- Cook45 mins
- Total time1 hr
- 2 bulbs fennel, finely sliced
- 800g pack chicken thighs
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp Cooks' Ingredients Dukkah
- 2 essential Waitrose Lemons, halved
- ½ x 340g jar essential Waitrose Pitted Green Olives
- 600g peeled butternut squash, cut into chunks
- 70g essential Waitrose Reduced Fat British Crème Fraîche
- ¼ tsp chilli powder, or to taste
- 2 gloves garlic, crushed
- ½ x 125g pack pomegranate seeds
Preheat the oven to 200°C, gas mark 6. Scatter the fennel into a large ovenproof dish and pour over 200ml cold water. Rub the chicken with olive oil and sprinkle with dukkah. Arrange on top of the fennel, then add the lemon and olives. Roast for 45 minutes, or until the chicken is golden and cooked through, there is no pink meat and the juices run clear. Remove and leave to rest.
Meanwhile, boil the squash for 13-15 minutes, or until tender. Drain, then mash and mix with the crème fraîche, chilli powder and the garlic. Season.
Serve the chicken and fennel on top of the mash, sprinkled with pomegranate seeds, with a cooked lemon half on the side to squeeze over.
To save time use Waitrose Swede, Carrot & Potato Mash, rather than making your own butternut mash.
Typical values per serving when made using specific products in recipe