Salt & pepper tofu with katsu mayo
Tofu has a wonderful ability to soak up all the flavours it’s cooked with.
- CourseMain meal
- Prepare15 mins
- Cook50 mins
- Total time1 hr 5 mins
- 396g pack Cauldron Original Tofu, drained
- 1 tsp Cooks’ Ingredients Ground White Pepper
- ½ tsp Cooks' Ingredients Chinese 5 Spice
- 2 tbsp Vegetable oil
- 250g jasmine rice
- 4 clove/s garlic, finely chopped
- 1 bunch bunch salad onions, white parts finely sliced, green parts roughly chopped
- 1 red chilli, finely sliced (deseeded for less heat)
- 1 tbsp light soy sauce
- 2 tbsp Wagamama Katsu Mayo
- 1 tsp Cooks’ Ingredients Black Sesame Seeds (optional)
Preheat the oven to 240°C, gas mark 9. Lay the block of tofu between sheets of folded kitchen paper and press to remove excess moisture. Slice into batons (3-4cm wide), patting them dry with more kitchen paper. Mix together the white pepper and 5 spice in a small bowl and add a big pinch of fine salt.
Toss the tofu sticks in half the pepper mixture and 1 tbsp oil, then arrange them on a baking tray in a single layer. Bake for 40-45 minutes, turning halfway through, until golden and crunchy.
When the tofu is cooked, cook the rice according to pack instructions. Put a wok over a high heat and add the remaining oil. Tip in the garlic, white parts of the salad onions and chilli and stir-fry for 1 minute until aromatic. Add the tofu and toss a few times to combine, then add the remaining pepper mixture, drizzle in the soy sauce and add the green parts of the salad onions, tossing once more. Serve with the rice, drizzled with a little mayo with the rest alongside, and sprinkled with sesame seeds, if using.
Giving tofu a long, hot blast in the oven before stir frying gives it a crunchy, crisp exterior
Typical values per serving when made using specific products in recipe