Winter citrus & kale salad
This simple salad makes the most of seasonal citrus and is light relief after the excesses of the festive period. You can dial up the bittersweet flavours here by adding leaves of red chicory.
- Prepare25 mins
- Total time25 mins
- 150g Pentland Brig kale
- 1 blush orange, peeled and cut into rounds
- 2 red grapefruit, peeled and cut into rounds
- 1 pomegranate, seeds only
- 40g hazelnuts, toasted and roughly chopped
- 1 echalion shallot, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp Belazu Gran Reserva Sherry Vinegar
- ½ blush orange, juice
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- ½ tsp clear honey
- 2 sprig/s thyme, leaves picked
- 100ml extra virgin olive oil
To make the dressing, put the shallot, vinegar and orange juice in a bowl and leave for 20 minutes to allow the shallot to soften. Next, whisk in the mustard, honey, thyme and olive oil; season and continue to whisk until emulsified.
Remove the tough stalks from the kale; discard. Put the kale into a bowl, pour a little dressing on it, then rub into the leaves until they soften. Put ½ the kale onto a platter and top with ½ the citrus fruit and pomegranate seeds, then drizzle over ½ the remaining dressing. Top with the remaining kale, sliced citrus and pomegranate seeds. Drizzle over the last of the dressing and scatter over the toasted hazelnuts to serve.
Typical values per serving when made using specific products in recipe