Save to your scrapbook
Rustic pear and Bramley apple tart
This will be saved to your scrapbook
You can also add it to one of your existing cookbooks
50g Waitrose LOVE Life Hazelnuts
225g plain flour, plus extra for rolling
140g butter, chilled and diced
3 tbsp golden caster sugar
1 Large Waitrose British Blacktail Egg
4 pears, peeled, quartered, cored and sliced
2 Bramley Apples, peeled, quartered, cored and sliced
50g essential Waitrose Sultanas
60g light brown soft sugar
1 tsp ground cinnamon
2 tsp cornflour
1 tbsp milk
2 tbsp maple syrup or clear honey
1. Place the nuts in a food processor and blitz until finely chopped. Add the flour, butter and caster sugar and whizz until all the butter is blended in well. Add the egg and whizz again to form a firm dough - if the mixture seems dry, add 1 tbsp cold water. Shape into a ball and chill for at least 10 minutes.
2. Preheat the oven to 180°C, gas mark 4. In a large bowl, toss together the pears, apples, sultanas, brown sugar, cinnamon and cornflour.
3. Line a large baking tray with baking parchment. On a lightly floured surface, roll the pastry to a circle about 35cm in diameter. Transfer to the baking tray.
4. Spoon the fruit mixture onto the centre of the pastry, leaving a 4cm border all the way around. Fold over the edges and brush the pastry with milk.
5. Bake for 40-45 minutes until the pastry is golden brown and the fruit is tender and very juicy. Drizzle with the maple syrup or honey. Slice and serve warm or at room temperature with clotted cream or custard.
Typical values per serving:
This recipe was first published in August 2013.