Caramelised apple and pecan ice cream
This delicious ice cream is really easy to make and you don't need an ice cream machine either. Delightfully moreish and creamy, works well in summer as a refreshing treat, or in winter with its apple and pecan notes.
- Prepare25 mins
- Cook15 mins
- Total time40 mins
- 3 essential Waitrose red dessert apples, peeled, cored and chopped
- 25g butter
- 4 tbsp golden caster sugar
- 1/2 x 1 a lemon, juice of
- 50g pecan nuts, roughly chopped
- 300ml double cream, lightly whipped
- 500g tub Waitrose Seriously Creamy Madagascan Vanilla Custard
Put the apples in a medium frying pan with the butter, sugar and lemon juice. Cook over a medium heat, turning occasionally, for about 10 minutes, then remove from the heat and leave to cool.
Fold the lightly whipped cream into the custard then fold in the apple mixture. Spoon into a rigid, covered container and freeze for an hour. Remove and stir well to break up any ice then return to the freezer for another couple of hours until completely frozen. Keep frozen until needed, or for up to 3 months.
Remove from the freezer about 15 minutes before serving so that it is easier to scoop.
Typical values per serving when made using specific products in recipe