If your family enjoys veggie curries or dal, a khichdi-style dish (based on a South Asian classic) is going to tick lots of boxes. Amp up the flavours with sizzled spices and lemon juice to serve.
- CourseMain meal
- Prepare10 mins
- Cook25 mins
- Total time35 mins
- 2 tbsp sunflower oil
- 1 onion
- 1 tsp black mustard seeds
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tbsp Cooks' Ingredients Ginger & Turmeric Paste
- 1 small cauliflower, roughly chopped
- 2 carrots, coarsely grated
- 250g red split lentils
- 150g Essential Basmati Rice
- 1¾ L vegetable stock, made with 1 cube
- ½ tsp crushed chilli flakes
- ½ x 25g pack coriander, leaves only
- 1 lemon, cut into wedges, to serve
Heat 1 tbsp oil in a large saucepan and cook the onion with ½ tsp each of the mustard and cumin seeds for 5 minutes until softened. Stir in the paste and cook for 1 minute.
Add the cauliflower, carrots, lentils, rice and stock. Bring to the boil, then cover and simmer for 25 minutes until thickened. Check the seasoning.
Just before serving, heat the remaining 1 tbsp oil in a small frying pan. Cook the remaining ½ tsp mustard and cumin seeds and the chilli flakes for 1-2 minutes, until spluttering and fragrant.
Divide the khichdi between bowls and top with a drizzle of the spiced oil. Scatter with coriander leaves and serve with lemon wedges.
The squeeze of lemon just before eating brightens up this warming dish – it can be swapped for lime.
Typical values per serving when made using specific products in recipe