Roast chicken with lemon, garlic & herbs
This is a supremely specific, yet pleasingly straightforward way to guarantee a juicy roast chicken by Harriet Mansell.
- CourseMain meal
- Prepare15 mins
- Cook1 hr 50 mins
- Total time2 hrs 5 mins
- 1 Waitrose Duchy Organic Free Range Whole Chicken (about 1.45kg)
- 50g Waitrose Duchy Organic English Salted Butter, softened
- 1 tbsp light olive oil or rapeseed oil
- 1 tsp fine salt
- 3 Waitrose Duchy Organic Onions
- 2 bulb/s Waitrose Duchy Organic Garlic
- 1 Waitrose Duchy Organic Lemon, halved
- ½ x 25g woody herbs (eg thyme, oregano or rosemary)
- Roasted new potatoes, to serve
Preheat the oven to 120oC, gas mark 1⁄2. Gently lift the skin covering the chicken breast and rub the butter all over the flesh. Rub the oil and salt all over the chicken skin.
Cut 1 onion and 1 garlic bulb in half and put in the cavity of the chicken, along with the lemon halves and fresh herbs. Cut the remaining onions and garlic bulb into quarters and arrange in the base of a roasting tin, then set the chicken on top.
Roast for 1 hour 10 minutes, then increase the oven temperature to 220°C, gas mark 7 and roast for a final 30-40 minutes, until the chicken is cooked through, the juices run clear and no pink meat remains – a meat thermometer inserted into the centre of the bird and the thickest part of the legs should reach 75oC. Set aside to rest for 20 minutes before slicing and serving. Reserve the roasting juices, squashing the vegetables in the tin for extra flavour (remove the skins if serving the onion and garlic alongside), then drizzle the juices over the chicken.
Typical values per Per serving (including roast potatoes) when made using specific products in recipe