Save to your scrapbook
Haggis Bon Bons With Whisky Sauce Recipe
This will be saved to your scrapbook
You can also add it to one of your existing cookbooks
A delicious canape or nibble to share with friends, with a simple mustard and whisky dip to serve alongside. You can make the sauce a day ahead and keep chilled.
50g plain flour
1 tsp smoked paprika
1 large essential Waitrose British Free Range Egg, lightly beaten
100g panko breadcrumbs
5 tbsp mayonnaise
2 tsp wholegrain mustard
1-2 tbsp whisky
Vegetable oil for deep frying
1. Remove the outer casing from the haggis, break up into 24 pieces and roll each piece into a small ball.
2. Place the flour and paprika in a shallow bowl, the egg in another shallow bowl and finally the breadcrumbs in a third bowl. Roll the haggis balls in the paprika flour, then in the beaten egg and finally in the breadcrumbs until evenly coated. Transfer to a baking tray and chill for 10 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, stir together the mayonnaise, wholegrain mustard and whisky. Spoon into a serving bowl and set aside.
4. Pour vegetable oil into a medium saucepan to a depth of about 6cm. Heat until it reaches 170ºC or drop a small piece of bread in the oil – when it turns brown in about 30 seconds, the oil is ready.
5. Using a metal slotted spoon, lower the haggis bon bons, a few at a time, into the oil and cook for 2-3 minutes until golden and crispy. Drain on kitchen paper and keep warm in a low oven while you finish cooking the remainder.
This recipe also works well using vegetarian haggis.
Typical values per serving:
per bon bon
This recipe was first published in December 2016.