Save to your scrapbook
Mushroom melt toastie
This will be saved to your scrapbook
You can also add it to one of your existing cookbooks
A full meal between two slices of bread - held together with delicious, stringy mozzarella!
This is a Full Time: Get Cooking with Marcus and Tom recipe. Premier League footballer Marcus Rashford and chef Tom Kerridge have created the campaign as part of #EndChildFoodPoverty to get families across the country cooking nutritious, low-cost meals.
1⁄2 small onion
1 tbsp vegetable oil
2 blocks of frozen spinach, defrosted
1 large handful of grated cheese (mozzarella or cheddar)
4 slices of bread
1. Bring a saucepan of water to the boil. Once bubbling, gently lower in the egg and cook for 8 minutes. Once cooked, drain off the hot water and run it under a cold tap to cool, then peel the shell off the egg and grate it using the fine side of a box grater.
2. Peel and roughly chop the onion, then heat the vegetable oil in a large frying pan over a medium heat. Once hot, add the onion and cook for a few minutes until softened. Roughly chop the mushrooms and add these to the pan to cook for a couple more minutes, stirring, until softened.
3. Roughly chop the spinach and add this to the pan to warm through, then transfer it all into a bowl and stir in the grated egg and cheese.
4. Put spread on all 4 slices of bread and pop the frying pan back on the heat. Place 2 slices of bread, spread side down, into the pan.
5. Spoon the mixture onto the 2 slices of bread in the pan, spreading it evenly to the edge of the bread, then place the remaining 2 slices on top, spread side up.
6. Cook gently for 4-5 minutes on one side, then turn the toastie over carefully and cook for a further 4-5 minutes on the second side, until lightly golden brown.
The bread will be crisp and the cheese oozing. Pop the toasties on plates, slice in half and tuck in.
This recipe was first published in August 2021.