Save to your scrapbook
Turkey, ham & leek pie
This will be saved to your scrapbook
You can also add it to one of your existing cookbooks
Use up your Christmas leftovers in this turkey, ham and leek pie – ideal for festive family feasts
Serves: 6 - 8
FOR THE PASTRY
450g plain flour
50g poppy seeds
100g butter, cold and cut into cubes
100g lard, cold and cut into cubes
150g strong Cheddar, finely grated, or Stilton, crumbled
1 Waitrose British Blacktail Free Range Medium Egg yolk, to glaze
FOR THE FILLING
2 tbsp olive oil
2 x 500g packs leeks, trimmed, cleaned and sliced
20g pack sage, leaves shredded
4 tbsp plain flour
100ml medium white wine
500ml turkey or chicken stock
500g cooked turkey meat, pulled into chunks
300g ham, cut into chunks
150ml crème fraîche
1. Preheat the oven to 200°C, gas mark 6. Tip the flour and poppy seeds into a large bowl. Add the butter and lard and rub with your fingers until it resembles large breadcrumbs. Add the cheese and 8-9 tbsp cold water until it comes together in a soft dough then knead briefly. Wrap in clingfilm and place in the fridge to rest for at least 30 minutes.
2. To make the filling, heat the olive oil in a large sauté pan, add the leeks and gently cook for 10 minutes with the lid on, until softened but not coloured. Add the sage and cook for a further 2 minutes then stir in the flour, and season generously.
3. Slowly pour in the wine then the stock, until a thick sauce is formed. Add the cooked turkey and ham and stir in the crème fraîche.
4. Tip the filling into a 2-litre lipped pie dish and leave to cool completely.
5. Meanwhile, roll out the pastry to 5mm thickness and cut to just bigger than the size of the dish. Brush the edges of the dish with water and use the pastry trimmings to cover the lip. Place the rest of the pastry on top of the pie, pressing onto the pastry lip. Pierce the top to allow steam to escape and use any leftover pastry to decorate. Brush with egg yolk and place in the oven to bake for 35-40 minutes, until golden.
Typical values per serving:
This recipe was first published in Mon Nov 20 10:09:00 GMT 2017.