Jewelled grain salad with spiced cabbage
An impressive vegan centrepiece that also works well as a side for roast meat or as part of a mezze-style spread.
- CourseMain meal
- Prepare25 mins
- Cook20 mins
- Total time45 mins
- 1 small Savoy cabbage
- 6 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 4 tsp Cooks' Ingredients Zaatar
- 2 shallots, finely sliced
- 2 clove/s garlic, crushed
- 2 x 250g pouches Merchant Gourmet Glorious Grains with Red Rice & Quinoa
- 25g dried cranberries
- 25g toasted flaked almonds
- 70g pomegranate seeds
- 3 clementines, 1 scrubbed
- ½ x 25g pack at leaf parsley, leaves roughly chopped
- ½ x 25g pack mint, leaves finely shredded
- 4 tbsp Alpro Greek Style Plain yogurt alternative
Preheat the oven to200ºC, gas mark 6, and put 2 baking trays inside to heat up. Cut the cabbage into 8 wedges. In a small bowl, mix 2 tbsp oil, 2 tsp zaatar and a pinch of salt; brush over the wedges. Transfer the cabbage to the hot trays and roast for 15-20 minutes or until golden and tender.
Meanwhile, heat 1 tbsp oil in a frying pan over a medium-low heat; fry the shallots for 6-8 minutes until turning golden, then add the garlic and cook for 1 minute. Tip the grains into the pan, add 2 tbsp water, stir, then season and cook until piping hot.
Meanwhile, in a large bowl mix together the cranberries, almonds and most of the pomegranate seeds. Zest and juice the scrubbed clementine into a small bowl. Peel and roughly chop the remaining 2 clementines and add to the large bowl.
Whisk the remaining 3 tbsp oil into the clementine juice with the remaining 2 tsp zaatar; season. Add the hot grains, most of the herbs and the dressing to the large bowl; toss. Spoon onto a platter and top with the cabbage wedges. Drizzle over the yogurt alternative, then scatter over the remaining herbs and pomegranate seeds.
Typical values per serving when made using specific products in recipe