Lebanese seven-spiced lentil & olive stew
Vegan, versatile and warming, this simple stew ticks lots of boxes.
- CourseMain meal
- Prepare10 mins
- Cook15 mins
- Total time25 mins
- 250g dried green lentils
- 750ml stock, made with 2 vegetable stock cubes
- 300g Essential Carrots, thickly sliced
- ½ tsp dried chilli flakes
- 1 tbsp Essential Olive Oil
- 2 Essential Onions, thinly sliced
- 2 clove/s cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 tbsp essential white wine vinegar
- ½ pack x 350g can Essential Pitted Green Olives In Brine, drained and roughly chopped
- 1 tbsp Cooks’ Ingredients Lebanese 7 Spice Blend
- 3 tbsp tomato purée
- 1 tbsp caster or granulated sugar
- 25g pack coriander, leaves chopped
1 Put the lentils, stock, carrots and chilli flakes in a saucepan. Bring to the boil, cover with a lid and reduce the heat to simmering. Cook gently for 10 minutes, until the lentils have softened.
2 Heat the oil in a frying pan and fry the onions for 5 minutes until golden. Stir in the garlic and fry for 1 minute more. Tip ½ the onions into the pan with the wine vinegar, olives, Lebanese 7-spice, tomato purée, sugar and all but 2 tbsp of the coriander. Cook gently for 5 minutes more until the lentils are soft but not collapsing
Spoon the stew into shallow bowls and serve scattered with the reserved onions and coriander.
For an extra burst of flavour, serve the stew topped with spoonfuls of dairy free yogurt alternative, flavoured with a little crushed garlic, plenty of freshly ground black pepper and a good squeeze of lemon or lime juice.
Typical values per serving when made using specific products in recipe