Mushroom soup with parmesan
Large, flat mushrooms offer lots of texture and flavour. This makes 2 large bowls, or serves 4 in smaller cups as a lovely autumnal starter.
- Prepare15 mins
- Cook25 mins
- Total time40 mins
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 tbsp Waitrose Duchy Organic Unsalted English Butter
- 2 Waitrose Duchy Organic Onions, roughly chopped
- 2 sticks Waitrose Duchy Organic Celery, roughly chopped (leaves reserved)
- 250g pack Waitrose Duchy Organic Chestnut Mushrooms, roughly chopped
- 3 clove/s Waitrose Duchy Organic Garlic, finely sliced
- 500ml vegetable stock
- 100ml Waitrose Duchy Organic British Free Range Whole Milk
- 4 tbsp Waitrose Duchy Organic Double Cream
- 30g Waitrose Duchy Organic Parmigiano Reggiano DOP, finely grated
Heat the oil and butter in a saucepan until foaming. Add the onion and celery, season and fry gently for 10 minutes. Turn up the heat, then stir in the mushrooms and garlic. Cook for 10 minutes more, until soft and most of the liquid has evaporated.
Pour in the stock and milk and simmer gently for a few minutes until the vegetables are tender. Transfer to a blender (or use a hand blender) and blitz until smooth. Season.
In another small pan (or in the microwave), warm the cream. Remove from the heat and stir in the cheese and a pinch of salt, until melted. Divide the soup between bowls, spoon a little parmesan cream over each and scatter with the celery leaves, if liked.
To make this vegetarian, use a vegetarian Italian hard cheese instead of the parmesan.
Typical values per serving when made using specific products in recipe