Pea & broccoli soup with chive scones
Beautifully buttery scones make this warming winter soup even more delicious.
Shop the ingredients here.
- Prepare25 mins
- Cook40 mins
- Total time1 hr 5 mins
For the scones
- 250g Essential Self-Raising Flour, plus extra for dusting
- ½ tsp fine sea salt
- 2 tsp English mustard powder
- 60g Flora Plant B*tter Salted, chilled and cubed, plus extra to serve
- 2 tbsp chopped chives, plus extra to serve
- 150ml almond drink, plus extra for brushing
For the soup
- 25g Flora Plant B*tter Salted
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 clove/s garlic, crushed
- 300g Essential Broccoli, roughly chopped
- 750ml Cooks' Ingredients Vegetable Stock
- 250g essential frozen peas
- 150ml almond drink
- ½ Essential Lemon, juice
Preheat the oven to 200ºC, gas mark 6. For the scones, put the flour, salt and mustard powder in a mixing bowl. Add the Flora product and work into a crumb consistency with your fingers. Stir in the chives, make a well in the centre and add the almond drink.
Use a knife to roughly bring together the dough. Knead briefly and lightly, then pat out on a surface to about 2cm thick. Cut out rounds using a 6cm cutter (make 8, re-rolling any extra dough). Put on a lightly floured baking tray. Brush the tops with a little almond drink; bake for 18-20 minutes until golden on top. Set aside to cool.
Meanwhile, for the soup, heat the Flora in a large pan over a medium heat. Fry the onion for 2-3 minutes until soft, then add the garlic and fry for 2-3 minutes more. Add the broccoli and cook for 2-3 minutes, then add the stock and simmer for 3-4 minutes. Add the peas and almond drink, return to the boil and cook for a final 3-4 minutes until the broccoli is soft. Set aside off the heat.
Add the lemon juice, season and blend. Scatter with more chopped chives and serve with the scones spread with extra Flora.
Flora Plant B*tter:
This creamy vegan alternative can do everything dairy butter can. Try using it to fry vegan pancakes on Shrove Tuesday.
Typical values per serving when made using specific products in recipe