Pea risotto with spinach
A quick and easy risotto recipe that's packed with flavour. The pea flavour brings a sweet freshness to the dish, which is complemented perfectly by the parmesan.
- CourseMain meal
- Prepare5 mins
- Cook20 mins
- Total time25 mins
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 shallots, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and crushed
- 300g arborio risotto rice
- 1.2 L Cooks’ Ingredients Vegetable Stock, hot (approx. 1-1.2 litres)
- 80g baby spinach
- 500g frozen petit pois, defrosted
- 45g Parmigiano Reggiano or vegetarian alternative, finely grated
Heat the oil in a shallow, heavy-based saucepan or sauté pan. Add the shallots and garlic and fry gently for 3-4 minutes until soft. Add the rice, fry for a minute, then add a ladleful of the stock. Stir over a medium heat until almost all of the stock has been absorbed, then continue to cook for a further 10 minutes, gradually adding stock until roughly 200-250ml stock remains unused.
Once the rice is cooked, but still retains a bit of bite, take the pan off the heat. Pour the remaining 200-250ml stock into a liquidiser with the spinach and half of the petit pois and blend until smooth. Pour this mixture into the pan with the rice and set back over a gentle heat until hot. Stir in the remaining petit pois, cook for a further 2 minutes then add the cheese and serve. Delicious with extra cheese and freshly ground black pepper on top. Cookery School tips -To follow the recipe exactly as it appears in the video link, here are a few tips: Use echalion shallots instead of regular shallots, if you prefer. They are larger than normal shallots, but the quantity will still work well.
Cookery School tips
To follow the recipe exactly as it appears in the YouTube video, here are a few tips:
- Use echalion shallots instead of regular shallots, if you prefer. They are larger than normal shallots, but the quantity will still work well.
- For speed, try using a microplane grater to finely grate the garlic instead of crushing it. Cookery School Chef Matt adds the garlic to the shallots in the pan once the shallots have had a couple of minutes to cook.
- Finish the risotto with a splash of olive oil, if you like.
Typical values per serving when made using specific products in recipe