Slow-cooked sweet potato, mixed bean & jackfruit chilli
While this chilli by Elly Curshen needs time to blip away over a low heat to reach its maximum taste potential, actual hands-on time is short.
- CourseMain meal
- Prepare20 mins
- Cook2 hrs
- Total time2 hrs 20 mins
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, finely sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, finely sliced
- 2 x 400g cans jackfruit, drained and rinsed well
- 1 red pepper, deseeded and diced
- 1 sweet potato, peeled and cut into 1-2cm cubes
- 3 tbsp tomato purée
- 2 chilli powder (or to taste)
- 1 tbsp ground cumin
- 1½ tsp sweet smoked paprika
- 400g can mixed beans in a spicy tomato sauce
- 2 x 400g cans chopped tomatoes
- 35g vegan dark chocolate (such as Raw Halo Dark 85%)
- 400ml vegetable stock (made with 400ml boiling water and 2 tsp vegetable bouillon powder)
- Coriander, to serve
- Lime wedges, to serve
- Avocado, sliced or smashed to serve
- Vegan yogurt alternative, to serve
- Rice, to serve
- Tortilla chips, to serve
Warm the oil in a large saucepan over a medium heat and fry the onions and garlic for a minute, then add the jackfruit. Fry for 8 minutes, or until the onion and jackfruit start to brown.
Use 2 forks to start pulling the jackfruit apart, shredding it (you may find it easier to do this on a chopping board, then add the jackfruit back to the pan). Sauté for a few more minutes, until the shredded jackfruit is well browned (even charred) on the edges. Add the red pepper, sweet potato, tomato purée and spices and sauté for 1 more minute.
Add the mixed beans, chopped tomatoes, chocolate, 2 tsp sea salt flakes and vegetable stock. Bring to the boil and cook over a medium heat for 10 minutes, then reduce to the lowest setting, cover and simmer for 1½-2 hours, stirring occasionally. It will gently bubble away and get better the longer you leave it. Adjust seasoning to taste.
Garnish with coriander and lime wedges, avocado and/or vegan yogurt and serve with rice or tortilla chips (or both).
Typical values per serving when made using specific products in recipe