Save to your scrapbook
Chorizo chilli dogs
This will be saved to your scrapbook
You can also add it to one of your existing cookbooks
8 frankfurter sausages
8 hot dog rolls, split open
American mustard, to serve
½ onion, finely chopped
½ x 28g pack coriander, chopped
1 tbsp olive oil
120g cooking chorizo, diced
400g beef mince
2 onions, finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp chilli flakes
2 tbsp tomato purée
400g can chopped tomatoes
500ml fresh beef or chicken stock, heated
1 dried ancho chilli
400g can kidney beans, drained
1. For the chilli, heat the oil in a heavy-based casserole, add the chorizo and fry gently for 5 minutes, until crisp. Set a sieve over a bowl and tip in the chorizo; reserve the excess oil in the bowl.
2. Pour ½ the oil back into the pan, turn up the heat and add the beef. Fry for 5 minutes, until golden brown and starting to crisp, then tip into the sieve with the chorizo.
3. Pour the remaining chorizo oil into the pan, add the onion and fry for 10 minutes, until soft and caramelised. Add the garlic and spices and cook for 2 minutes. Add the tomato purée and fry for 2–3 minutes, then pour in the chopped tomatoes and hot stock; bring to a simmer. Return the chorizo and beef to the pan, drop in the ancho chilli and simmer gently for 1 hour 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the beans and cook for a further 30 minutes. Remove from the heat; season.
4. Preheat the barbecue for direct grilling. Grill the sausages for 6–8 minutes, until heated through and lightly charred, turning regularly. Move them to one side of the grill, then lightly toast the cut side of the rolls.
5. To assemble, spread the insides of each roll with American mustard (such as French’s Classic Mustard) and sit a sausage on top. Spoon over some of the chilli and serve with plenty of chopped onion and coriander.
This recipe first appeared in Waitrose Food, June 2017 issue. Download the Waitrose Food app for the full issue.
Typical values per serving:
Per chilli dog 2217kJ
This recipe was first published in June 2017.