Save to your scrapbook
Turkey stock & gravy recipe | Waitrose
This will be saved to your scrapbook
You can also add it to one of your existing cookbooks
Having turkey for your main? Using your own turkey stock will make your gravy taste wonderfully rich
For the turkey stock (optional)
• Reserved giblets from the turkey (excluding the liver)
• 1 onion, quartered
• 1 carrot, cut into chunks
• 1 stick celery, cut into chunks
• 3 fresh bay leaves
• 4 fresh parsley stalks
• 6 black peppercorns
For the gravy
• 2 tbsp plain flour
• 750ml turkey stock (above) or chicken stock, or a combination of both
• 100ml red or white wine
1. If you are making your own stock, place the giblets in a large pan with 1.5 litres cold water. Slowly bring to the boil and skim off any foam with a slotted spoon.
2. Add the remaining stock ingredients, then cover and simmer for 30 minutes. Remove the lid and simmer until reduced by half. Strain through a sieve, cool, then cover and chill in the fridge overnight.
3. To make the gravy, bring the stock to the boil, then remove from the heat. While the turkey is resting, spoon off the fat from the tin, leaving the dark juices behind. Place the tin over a medium heat and bring to a simmer, then stir in the flour and incorporate all those sticky bits from the bottom. Cook for 2–3 minutes, stirring continuously.
4. Remove from the heat and stir in 2 ladlefuls of the stock. Return to the hob and cook over a low heat for 2 minutes, then gradually add the remaining stock and wine. Bring to the boil, stirring constantly, until smooth and thickened. Simmer gently for 5 minutes, then strain into a warm jug and serve.
Typical values per serving:
This recipe was first published in Fri Oct 30 08:46:00 GMT 2015.
Average user rating