Feta, pistachio and pomegranate bake
A perfect vegetarian alternative for Christmas day. Prepare up to the end of step 2 on Christmas Eve, then chill to prepare for the big day!
- CourseMain meal
- Prepare25 mins
- Cook1 hr 20 mins
- Total time1 hr 55 mins
- Plusplus cooling
- 50g unsalted butter, plus extra for greasing
- 5 echalion shallots, thinly sliced
- 2 carrots, peeled and grated
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 125g chestnut mushrooms, finely chopped
- 50g blanched almonds
- 50g pistachios, finely chopped, plus extra to serve
- 250g cooked basmati rice
- 100g fresh breadcrumbs
- 200g feta cheese, crumbled
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 x 20g pack dill, chopped, plus extra to serve
- 1/2 x 25g pack flat leaf parsley, roughly chopped, plus extra to serve
- 1/2 x 25g pack mint, leaves roughly chopped, plus extra to serve
- ½ unwaxed lemon, zest
- ½ orange, zest
- 50g dried cherries, chopped
- 1 tbsp pomegranate molasses, plus extra to serve
- 1 pomegranate seeds, to serve
Preheat the oven to 190˚C, gas mark 5. Lightly butter a deep 20cm loose-based cake tin and line the base with baking parchment. Melt the butter in a large pan on a low heat. Add the shallots and a pinch of salt, then sauté for 5 minutes. Add the carrots and garlic, then cook for 5 minutes until soft. Turn up the heat slightly, add the mushrooms and cook, stirring, for 10 minutes until soft and turning golden. Meanwhile, toast the almonds and pistachios on a tray in the oven for 5-8 minutes, until golden. When cool, finely chop.
Let the mushroom mixture cool for a few minutes, then transfer to a large mixing bowl and stir in all the remaining ingredients apart from the pomegranate seeds. Mix until well combined, then transfer to the prepared tin. Use the back of a spoon to press it down and smooth the top.
Bake for 45 minutes-1 hour until well browned and firm (cover with foil after 30 minutes if it browns too fast). Leave to stand for 10 minutes, then remove from the tin and transfer to a serving plate. Drizzle with extra pomegranate molasses, then scatter with the extra herbs and pistachios, plus the pomegranate seeds.
Typical values per serving when made using specific products in recipe