Save to your scrapbook
Chocolate torte with stem ginger
This will be saved to your scrapbook
You can also add it to one of your existing cookbooks
250g unsalted butter, softened, plus extra for greasing
cocoa powder, for dusting
350g Lindt Excellence 70% Cocoa Dark Chocolate, roughly chopped
4 balls stem ginger in syrup (about 70g), finely chopped, plus 4 tbsp syrup
5 eggs, separated
100g light brown
120g golden caster sugar
1½ tbsp ground ginger
100g ground almonds
200ml half fat crème fraîche
1. Preheat the oven to 170˚C, gas mark 3. Grease a 23cm loose-based cake tin and line the base with baking parchment. Put the tin on its side, then dust a little cocoa powder onto the sides and rotate until coated. Tip out any excess.
2. Put the butter, chocolate and 2 tbsp stem ginger syrup in a pan and gently heat until melted. Stir until well combined, then set aside to cool slightly. Put the egg yolks and sugars in a mixing bowl; use electric beaters to whisk for 2-3 minutes, until lighter in colour. Beat in the melted chocolate mixture, until combined.
3. In a small bowl, combine the ground ginger and almonds, then stir into the chocolate mixture. Put the egg whites in a large, clean mixing bowl and use clean electric beaters to whisk to stiff peaks. Gently fold into the chocolate mixture in 3 batches, stirring until only just combined each time. Fold in 60g stem ginger. Pour into the prepared tin.
4. Bake for 45-50 minutes, until set and a skewer inserted into the centre comes out almost clean. Allow to cool completely in the tin (don’t worry if it sinks or cracks), then chill for 2-3 hours.
5. Mix the crème fraîche with the remaining 2 tbsp stem ginger syrup. Remove the cake from the tin, transfer to a serving plate and dust with cocoa powder. Serve at room temperature with a dollop of the ginger crème fraîche and a scattering of the remaining 10g stem ginger with each slice. The torte tastes even better after a day of resting; keep chilled then serve at room temperature.
Typical values per serving:
This recipe was first published in Wed Nov 18 14:21:00 GMT 2020.