Save to your scrapbook
Ching-He Huang’s Chinese roast duck lettuce leaves
This will be saved to your scrapbook
You can also add it to one of your existing cookbooks
"Healthier and lighter than the takeaway version. Marinade the duck with Chinese spices and roast duck legs without the skin to make a healthier low fat alternative but full of flavour. Go carb free by wrapping in fresh gem lettuces leaves and reduce the amount of salt by brushing a thin layer of shop-bought Hoi sin for a mild savoury-sweet flavour." - Ching
390g pack of Gressingham duck legs, skin off
For the Marinade :
2 cloves minced garlic
2 tbsp grated ginger
2 tbsp Shaoxing rice wine or dry sherry
1 tsp Chinese five spice powder
1⁄2 tsp dried chilli flakes
2 tbsp runny honey
1 tbsp ground nut oil
1 tbsp low salt soy sauce
1 tbsp Hoi sin sauce
1 tsp dark soy sauce
1 pinch of sea salt
To Serve :
2 heads of lettuce gem leaves, leaves separated & washed
Sliced spring onions, very thin long strips, soaked in ice water to curl up
Cucumber slices, half moon, thinly sliced
Serve with :
2 tbsp Hoi sin sauce (with brush to brush on the lettuce leaves)
1. Place the duck legs in a zip lock bag, add all the marinade ingredients. Marinade for at least one hour in the fridge.
2. Heat the oven to 180°C. Place duck legs (include the marinade) round side up on a roasting tray lined with kitchen paper. Roast for 30 minutes, then turn heat up to 200°C, cook the duck legs for a further 10 minutes to cook medium – well done.
3. Remove and rest the duck for 5 minutes. Once rested, shred the duck legs and place on a serving board.
4. Place the lettuce gem leaves, cucumber slices and spring onion curls in small serving dishes. Pour some Hoi sin sauce in dipping bowls with small brush.
5. To serve, let your guests make each one themselves by brushing some hoi sin sauce in the lettuce cups, placing some shredded duck onto a lettuce ‘wrap’ garnishing with a slice of cucumber and spring onion curl, wrap and eat.
© Copyright Ching-He Huang, 2013
To view Ching's recipe for Steamed wined chicken with orange & ginger dressing, click here
To view Ching's recipe for Wok fried sugar snap pears & mange tout with cashew nuts click here
Average user rating