Save to your scrapbook
Dhruv Baker's Wing rib of beef with roasted shallots & a port jus
This will be saved to your scrapbook
You can also add it to one of your existing cookbooks
A lovely joint guaranteed to satisfy and impress - Dhruv Baker
For the beef:
1 tablespoon English mustard
2 tablespoons wholegrain mustard
3-4 tbsp vegetable oil
1 tsp fresh thyme leaves
1 clove garlic, crushed
Wing Rib of Beef with 4 bone, about 2.96kg
For the Jus:
200ml good quality ruby port
750ml beef stock
1 sprig fresh thyme
For the roasted shalllots:
8 echallion shallots cut in half lengthways (approx 400g)
1 tbsp caster sugar
1 sprig rosemary
1 tbsp oil
For the beef and port jus:
1. Preheat oven to 220C, gas mark 7. Mix the mustards, oil, thyme, garlic and season in a small bowl. Score the fat on the beef with a sharp knife then rub the joint all over with the mustard mix. Place in a roasting tin.
2. Place in the oven and after 20 minutes turn down to 190C, gas mark 5 and cook for 15 minutes per 500g + 20 minutes (for medium rare) then remove and rest the beef for 20 minutes.
3. Once you have taken the beef out of the roasting tin and set aside on a board, pour off excess oil and place the roasting tin on a medium flame on the hob and when hot, deglaze with the port. Allow to reduce by half then add the thyme and the stock. Reduce the whole lot by two thirds, then season to taste. Strain and serve.
For the roasted shallots:
1. Preheat the oven to 180oC, gas mark 4. Melt the butter in a frying pan and when foaming, add the shallots, sugar and rosemary.
2. Allow to cook for about 5 minutes and stir so that the shallots are coated in the butter. Stir in the oil then transfer the contents of the pan to a roasting tin and place in the oven for 30 minutes.
Average user rating