Smoked mackerel, egg, new potato and dill salad
- CourseMain meal
- Prepare20 mins
- Cook15 mins
- Total time35 mins
- 300g small waxy potatoes, such as charlotte
- 4 eggs
- 6 cornichons, drained (reserve 1 tbsp pickling juice) and finely chopped
- 2 shallots, finely sliced
- ½ lemon, juice
- 1/2 x 25g pack dill, fronds picked and finely chopped, plus extra to serve
- 120ml creme fraiche
- 130g watercress, rocket and spinach salad
- 230g boneless hot smoked mackerel fillets
Put the potatoes in a large saucepan, cover with cold water, add a pinch of salt and bring to the boil. Simmer for 15 minutes; drain and set aside. At the same time, in a separate saucepan of boiling water, simmer the eggs for 7 minutes, then transfer to a bowl of iced water and set aside to cool slightly.
Meanwhile, put the cornichon pickling juice in a bowl with the sliced shallots, ½ the lemon juice, ½ the dill and a pinch of salt. Toss together and set aside. When cool enough to handle, slice the potatoes. Peel the eggs and, while still warm, slice into halves. Mix together the crème fraîche, finely chopped cornichons and remaining lemon juice and dill; season.
Arrange the salad leaves over a serving platter, then scatter over the sliced potatoes. Drain the shallot and dill mixture and scatter over. Flake the mackerel and arrange over the top, with the eggs. Spoon over the crème fraîche sauce and sprinkle over more dill to serve.
Typical values per serving when made using specific products in recipe